Thursday, September 25, 2014

Reunited with an old friend

It's been a full two years since I've used my Excalibur food dehydrator. I was in the store today with my hubby and saw a box of raw kale chips for $7.99! I really really wanted them, but I couldn't throw down almost $8 for kale chips. So I bought two large bunches of organic kale and pulled out the Excalibur, and I'm not sorry I did!!

I made two flavors, both are delicious and relatively easy to make. Here they are:

Cheesy Kale Chips

1 bunch kale
1/3 cup raw pistachios
1/3 cup raw sunflower seeds
3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp garlic salt (I'm in love with Trader Joe's garlic salt grinder!)

1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil

Start by adding all ingredients except olive oil to a food processor and blend to a fine crumble consistency.

Next tear bite size kale pieces from the stem, wash and rinse, and use a salad spinner (or towel) to remove excess water.

Place kale pieces in a large bowl, add olive oil and "massage" the kale until wilted. Add half of the crumble mixture and toss to coat.

Place pieces in a single layer on dehydrator sheet and dehydrate at 110 degrees until crispy (about 4-5 hrs).


Teriyaki Kale Chips

1 bunch kale
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp tamari sauce
1 Tbsp raw honey
1/4 tsp onion powder

Mix ingredients and follow same instructions as above (eliminating crumble steps).





No comments: